Tips and Tricks and takeaways from Winter Camping
2016 February, Chickahominy Wildlife Management Area
2014 Amelia Wildlife Refuge
- One Liter of alcohol per person seems to be enough for 2 days; some wine would have been nice.
- Desk Jockey thing still rings true and seems to be evermore an issue.
- 3 people still rocks!
- A sleeping bag you can actually fit in would be nice. Damn Democrat sleeping bags!
- Rib-eyes are STILL awesome!
- Being next to the river is really really convenient, do tend to sit around and watch water boil though.
- Longer nails worked out nicely especially for hanging stuff.
- Macaroni and Cheese cooks up as nicely on a campfire as it does on your stove.
- Pre-packaged red beans and rice is money, could use some meat in it.
- Rack of lamb is a delight.
- Eggs, grits, and sausage make for an easy and tasty breakfast.
- Turkey legs on the fire are delicious and not that hard to cook.
- Chainsaw sure would change things, tons of firewood, some nice benches, seats, tables.
- The hike in is nothing, could afford a heavier bag.
- Breakfast sandwiches still hit the spot: sausage egg and cheese on English muffin.
- Having a sufficient amount of butter is handy.
- Paper towels have a million uses.
- First time with pine tree tea, very nice.
- Dark chocolate with almonds makes a damn sexy s’more. More graham next time.
- Coyotes at night are awesome.
2013 Amelia Wildlife Refuge
- Being a desk jockey 364 days out of the year and a lumberjack 1, will make you sore.
- More alcohol, maybe in the area of a liter per person.
- 3 people is way better for firewood collecting then 2. Follow Les’s rule for firewood.
- 2 knives are 1 and 1 is none. Double or triple up.
- Some people may need to invest in a warmer bag and a better sleeping mat or a sleeping mat.
- Pocket tarp was nice for sitting on or placing stuff on.
- Steaks are still awesome.
- Beavers make a weird sound at night, like a large stone getting thrown in the water. (KERPLUNK-SPLASH-KERPLUNK SPLASH)
- Have a somewhat of a plan for the day, otherwise you may end up doing nothing then drinking at 3pm.
- Fishing is hard.
- Eggs cooked in tinfoil work out nicely. English muffins travel well and toast up even better. Needs ham and cheese for perfection.
- Maybe 2 liters of water per person.
- Nails and 550 cord are a must. Some longer ones would be nice.
- Having a table is amazing.
- Hot Italian sausages roasted and wrapped in a tortilla are money, beware of the tongue scorching oil. Needs mustard.
- Wear your boots on the drive in.